Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The O.C. (Obsessive Compulsive)

severe elevation | high elevation | moderate elevation | slight elevation | stable | slight depression | moderate depression | deep depression | severe depression || anx: 0, agit: 0


I've read some articles on how it's actually not uncommon for those with Bipolar Condition to have Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior.

BMD, particularly depression, goes hand-in-hand with OCD. Comorbidity, it's called. I can't sufficiently explain things in technical medicobabble for why or how (thus a link to an article has been provided) but I sort of see the truth in it - at least in the way that it goes on in my life. It's a sort of coping mechanism, I suppose.

Although I don't think I have the obsessive-compulsive disorder, I admit do have obsessive-compulsive behavior, especially when stressed:
  • ritualizing
  • obsessive thinking
  • imagining germs
  • semi-rational fears, (I say semi-rational because I don't want to admit they're irrational)
  • ruminating
  • arranging and rearranging
  • triple-checking
  • cleansing compulsions (handwashing / toothbrushing)
  • pack-ratting
  • self-poking
  • guilt-tripping
  • hand-tapping
  • out-of place overpraying
  • other things regarding my hands

Concrete examples of how I can go all Adrian Monk:
  • I could lose sleep over what to wear the following day due to a mental litany of pros and cons of every possible choice.
  • When I am alone at home and lunchtime comes, it could take me the whole afternoon to decide what to eat, or whether to eat at all, so I end up not eating until dinner time when someone else decides what he wants to have.
  • I cannot answer "Where do you want to meet?" Because I can think of a hundred places I would want to be but would greatly inconvenience either me or the other party.
  • At random intervals during the day, I feel the need to brush my teeth again.
  • Whenever I work or cook, the times I wash my hands or wipe the work-surface cannot be counted.
  • I can go out of the house without money, but never without hand sanitizer. It's not just a girl thing. I NEED my hand sanitizer because touching money, hand rails, public table tops or other people's hands drives me bonkers.
During episodes, they manifest themselves as the disorder, so fine, maybe I really am far from slightly neurotic; perhaps do have a (slight - I must insist on slight) obsessive-compulsive disorder.

The obsessions and compulsions - although they could drive me (and others) crazy sometimes - in some twisted way generate for me a feeling of unstable security, particularly in times I feel stressed. The behavior helps me to:

(a)
Lie to myself that "everything is under control", or
(b) Nonverbally expression of that underlying desire to keep things manageable.

I realize that underneath it all was a fear of missing a step that could quite possibly ruin my life. I suppose that's why it's much worse when I'm depressed.

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...