Thursday, March 3, 2011

It's Not A Psychological Disorder

today's weather: BASELINE
anxiety : o
agitation : o


An older lady-friend of mine who happens to be counseling a bipolar asked for my input earlier today. This friend of mine is already a well-equipped, well-trained and experienced minister, but she needed some first-hand info on what being bipolar is like, and what sort of "tools" can be used for this condition.

My collated thoughts on the subject inspire tonight's blog entry. :)

One of the first thing I tell people is that it's not a psychological disorder, though it is often classified as one. More accurately, it's a biological disorder that manifests itself like a psychological one. A more understandable term would be mood disorder - i.e., there is an abnormality that affects a person's moods. Just the moods, emotions, dispositions. It is not a malfunction of cognitive functions such as logic, learning or memory. This is an important fact. You'll see why in a while.


The main tools in navigating through bipolarity:
  1. Take the prescription.
  2. Identify and avoid the triggers.
  3. Identify and apply coping methods.
  4. Surround oneself with caring relationships.

Because it's not a Psychological Disorder ...

Because bipolar mood is not a psychological disorder, one's intellectual and mental sides are intact and very functional (unless of course the condition has been untreated for years, remained in extended episodes and swung into psychoses). A bipolar's emotions will definitely get screwy, but he can still get a better handle on the condition by engaging the part of the brain that handles logic, information, and so on. Though nothing can be done about the emotions, some action can be done to adjust one's general attitude and behavior.


1. using knowledge / information

What has personally been helpful to me is gathering relevant information about the condition. The more informed I got, the better-equipped I became.

Sources of information:

(1) A doctor of Psychology.
He will have a professional, clinical opinion. This is so as to address the issue properly.

Some people think it's fashionable to flippantly tag themselves with disorders - neat freaks say they have O.C.D., teenagers with fixations call themselves psycho, emotional ones call themselves bipolar - even if they really aren't. A doctor can help to identify if there really is a chemical imbalance going on, and prescribe necessary drugs, maybe some therapy or coping skills.

(2) Medical data. Find articles, facts and resources. It's easier these days thanks to Google

(3) Other bipolars.
Though they aren't professionals, they have actual experiences, not just book-based theories. A doctor provides the framework of the condition, research gives the general form, actual bipolars fill-in the colorful details.

It has personally been helpful to me to exchange thoughts with other people who have been diagnosed, as well as reading blogs by bipolars.


2. using analysis and application

All that information is useless if I can't apply it to my life. That's where more left-brain skills come in: I am to sort the information and see how it applies to my particular situation.

For example - My doctor told me to identify the triggers, so I observed what upsets me and took notes. I shared my notes with my husband, sister and close friends so they can help me avoid them.
I came across a mood chart on the internet, modified it to my needs, printed it out and started using it. With a visual prop, I was able to track my patterns and anticipate mood swings.


3. using observation


What to observe:
- What upsets me / excites me?
- What calms me down, or helps me to stay as near as possible to baseline?
- What patterns do my mood swings have? When, how long, etc.
- In which thought patterns do I usually get stuck at?
- Am I exhibiting symptoms of elevation /depression, and what do I need to do if ever?
- etc.

I take note of these and apply necessary information and coping methods. I've shared the info with people close to me too.


4. using memory


It's good to remember what I learned and what I need to do. I know my memory isn't as good as it used to be, so I put some of my notes in this blog, tagged for easy reference.

I'm a Christian and I live by the Word of God. Though I'm not as sharp as I used to be at word-for-word memorization of scripture as when I was young, I've made it a point to commit Biblical principles to my heart and mind. I've compiled and paraphrased a list of scriptures which I have found helpful to combat negative thought patterns.


5. using logic

Logic of course will only apply if you have information.

During depressions, brooding can get the best of me, so that is a good time to force myself to be logical. It doesn't take away the emotion, but it exposes the unnecessary drama and makes things a bit more tolerable (You can call it suppression. Some counselors may discourage that, but it helps me to function until I am more able to deal with the problem properly). For example, when I spiral down into self-pity, forcing myself to think it through would help me to identify that my vile conclusions could be based on some misunderstanding or a perceived though unconfirmed rejection, and I would see that it is therefore unfair to myself to drag me down over something so trivial.

Rational thinking is also very helpful in more extreme episodes when I hear noises. Because I know that they are not real, I don't entertain them, and they don't affect me, and I don't go all schizo.

It's logical thinking and pre-made decisions that keep me from killing myself - or anyone for that matter. Despite all the fantasy suicides and murders I've concocted since childhood, none of them were ever successfully carried out because my mind tells me, that is wrong, God disapproves of that, I may be eternally punished for that, I will not do that, I promised my husband I will not do that, people who depend on me need me to stay alive, and so on.


6. using discipline

Employing any and all of the above effectively needs some degree of discipline. I think that speaks for itself.


So there. I'm good. Ending with another quick, sloppy ending.

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...