Friday, March 4, 2011

The Vegetables and the Horror Vacui Tell Me So

today's weather: S L I G H T E L E V A T I O N
anxiety : 1
agitation : 1
today's guests: an urge to draw in horror vacui



For the past few days, I've been feeling so good and believed I was on baseline, but as of last night I became pretty sure I am now in an elevation. The vegetables told me so.

No, no, no - I'm not having hallucinations. The veggies didn't literally tell me anything (and I just need to make sure to state that plainly so you won't wonder if I were going crazy..er).

Here's what happened: I decided to fix myself a fresh salad last night. As I sliced the vegetables, I caught myself merely chopping them into random-sized pieces, not neatly and meticulously dicing them into fairly-equal squares the way I usually do. I also found myself ripping the bell peppers open with my hands instead of using a knife. I was doing everything so hurriedly and clumsily, like I was a contestant on Top Chef (though immensely less artful) trying to beat the time. I paused and asked myself, Why the heck am I hurrying? There really was no reason.

I also noticed I made a major mess in the kitchen - seeds, stems leaves and water everywhere, including the floor. All about a single serving of salad.

I wolfed down the salad in the same pace, not minding the kitchen mess that I was extending onto my person. Seeing the irregular trapezoid tomato slices and the jagged-edged bell peppers peeking out from between the curly lettuce, I noted I must be in an elevation.

I should have taken a picture. It was a funny salad, it even had nata de coco in it.

When I woke this morning, it took me hours before I got off the bed. Not being able to get up out of bed is usually a sign of depression, but not this particular time, because I was detained not by my sadness but by my sketchbook.

Images mine

I am back in horror vacui mode. I had this obsessive urge to fill every white space on the page. I just kept on going and going and going, sitting in a nest of rumpled sheets on the unmade bed.

Luckily the Hubby stayed home today. He came into the room at noon to tell me it was time to eat. As we talked, my hand just kept scribbling. I had to ask him to take my sketchpad away so I would stop; it's not that I couldn't stop, I just kept finding white spots that I had to fill.

(As I look at the images above while making this blog entry, I keep seeing more spaces I want to violate when I'm done here, this time with an orange pen perhaps).

He took away the felt-tipped pen I was using, and told me to come out and freshen up. As soon as he was out the door, I grabbed a drawing pencil and started on a new page.


See, the Hubby's mistake was that he took the pen when I told him to take the sketchbook.

A while later, the Hubby came back into the room and told me it's been an hour, and he was still waiting for me, and he was hungry (It couldn't have been an hour - I'm pretty sure he was exaggerating!). He caught me in the middle of another drawing, and we just had to laugh at how pathetic I was being. Serious about my getting out of the room, he grabbed the sketchbook this time. That's why the third drawing is so bare.

Sketchbook very addicting today, yes yes.

Before the day is over, I want to color a line-drawing I made previously, and tint another one with watercolor pencils, and another one with colored pencils (if I can find them). Oh, I just want to draw and draw; I don't even care if things turn out nice, I just want to make something.

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...