Friday, January 25, 2013

silver linings?

today's flavor: H U N K Y - D O  R Y 
anxiety : 0
agitation : 0


So I recently watched Silver Linings Playbook.  It's supposedly a good movie but I don't get what all the buzz is about.  I mean it's not a bad film. It just didn't leave me breathless or impressed or moved or depressed or disturbed or anything.  Maybe it's because I saw it after watching "Les Miserables", "The Hobbit" and "Life of Pi", which were all synaesthetic smorgasbords.



I assume the book is better.  I'm curious about it of course, but er... I've sort of put a restraining order on myself to keep away from purchasing books, after having spent about $50 on used books fairly recently :p  (What can I say?  I love reading, and used books at less than two dollars each are an excellent bargain!  Of course it doesn't seem so "excellent" now that I see how many books I need to plastic-wrap and find shelf space for.  And shelf space happens to be a rare commodity in our household, because we're all readers here).  So Silver Linings the novel will just have to wait ... until I'm no longer feeling so guilty.  :p

Besides, I don't want to be one of those people who read the book because of the movie.  Although I already am.  :/

Okay.  So Bradley Cooper played a bipolar in there.  He supposedly got a best actor nomination.  Again, I don't see why - his acting was good, but it just wasn't phenomenal (Good thing he didn't win - Hugh Jackman did, and he really deserved it, me thinks).  I'm not sure he was able to portray bipolarity - it was all just stereotypical bursts of mania and bouts of idiocy.  I really hate how the film kept referring to it as an "illness" or "crazy".  Fook that.  Morbid misrepresentation.

Jennifer Lawrence was OK as a depressed chick though.  Still, I don't think it was an Oscar-worthy performance, i.e., outstanding enough to trump the likes of Meryl Streep.  Meh, maybe I just didn't pay enough attention because she was too pretty.

But maybe the characters were more interesting and less two-dimensional in the book?

Now I really want to read the book.  -_-  Maybe I can get ahold of one without having to buy it?  :/  Anyone  willing to lend it?  I'll only take a week or less - or maybe two if I find it boring - I promise I'll give it back as soon as I'm done.  Or if I like so much it maybe I can buy it from you so I can add another volume to the shelf I've already crammed to capacity?

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...